Thursday, February 3, 2011

Paper Reading #5: Tangible Video Bubbles

Comments
Zack Henkel
Jacob Lillard

Reference information
Authors: Kimiko Ryokai, Hayes Raffle, Hiroshi Horii, Yotam Mann
CHI 2010

Summary
Tangible Video Bubbles provide a new medium for children to create expressive video art. These bubbles allow children to record and edit video clips, which they can import to a touchscreen to supplement or incorporate their various videos into drawings. Structurally, the bubble is 17'' in diameter, squeezable, and somewhat hollowed out with a video camera and microphone inside. A hole in the bubble is located opposite the video camera, which is operated by a button for recording and stopping. Playback of video on a screen inside the bubble is done by squeezing the bubble; playback speed is controlled by squeezing with different pressures and selective playback is done by squeezing different parts of the bubble itself. These different methods of playback also apply to "spilling" video clips onto the separate drawing canvas. Parts of the video can be added to the canvas by squeezing in different ways. This is done while the bubble is resting on the "spilling" platform, where all or selected parts of the video can be transferred to the drawing canvas. On this canvas, the video or audio bubbles can act as messages or sound clips within a drawing such that video bubbles and drawings complement each other.


Tangible Bubble interaction flow. Source: publication

The bubble went through an accordion-style vessel and similar but smaller bubbles before the designers settled on the 17'' model bubble. Results from a user study consisting of 18 children between the ages of 4 and 10 showed that the bubble was usable and easy to understand. Children smoothly transitioned from video-making with the bubble and designing on the drawing canvas. In addition, children were able to design creative and interactive (hidden) messages.

Discussion
I found this paper easy to read and think it features a unique and creative design. Although, squeezing the bubble only seems intuitive for "spilling" video bubbles onto the canvas, not as much for playback. Of course, I would need to see it for myself. I'm also curious as to whether there could be more functionality for the bubble itself. Perhaps, notwithstanding size limitations, the drawing canvas could be built into the inside of the bubble, like a larger View-Master. I like to think that I would have liked to have something like this as a child. I thought it was good that they tested earlier models with children before settling on a design. I also appreciated they acknowledge some limitations with the drawing canvas software.

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to try out one of these out myself. I also think that squeezing the bubble may be difficult for tasks other than "spilling" the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This appears to be a interesting idea, though I really only see it useful for children since they enjoy discover the world through less-tangible objects than I think adults would. I would be interested to see ways that this idea could be more useful for practically business applications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never really associated spilling with bubbles, so that was a bit different. I agree it would have been nice to get more information on drawing software aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that it would be alot more valuable to see one of these in person. I'm having a hard time grasping the concept of how exactly the bubble works.

    ReplyDelete