Monday, January 31, 2011

Paper Reading #4: Adaptive Mouse: A Deformable Computer Mouse Achieving Form-Function Synchronization

Comments
Joe Cabrera
Joshua Penick

Reference information
Authors: Sheng Kai Tang, Wen Yen Tang
Where: CHI 2010

Summary
This paper introduces the Adaptive Mouse, made of deformable foam and which has sensors capable of detecting and recognizing various gestures. It is designed to look, feel and operate very similarly to traditional computer mice in order to minimize mental loads. Its purpose is to be a more "universal" mouse so that users of any handedness and grip style can comforting hold it.

Part of the implementation of the mouse is the deformation sensing module, which consists of foam, a Hall-effect sensor and a magnet. This configuration allows the mouse to measure the deformation of the mouse. More specifically, it the sensor detects the magnetic field from the magnet, so the closer the sensor is to the magnet, the greater strength or voltage is measured.

Structure of the deformation sensing module. Source: publication

With the initial physical prototype, the designers held a user study to design the algorithm for recognizing palm placements as well as predicting locations of the fore and middle fingers for input. The six-step study consisted of 30 subjects (15 male and 15 female), in which would hold the mouse in both hands separately and press with their fore and middle fingers in each hand. The algorithm first determines the highest value area, then maps the location opposite the highest-value area as the middle-finger. The location of the fore-finger is made to be next to the middle-finger button. The optical sensor calibration was also formulated using the predicted direction of the a hand gesture and the original direction of the optical sensor.

Prediction of dynamic button location. Source: publication

Another exploratory user study was conducted with the first 30 subjects to actually observe normal usage of the mouse and collect feedback. Most of the subjects enjoyed the novelty and "magic" of the device, some mentioning that it may be beneficial in dark rooms where visual cues cannot be interpreted; however, some found that the button mappings and optical calibrations were prone to error when the mouse was held in different ways, such as with only the thumb and pinky rather than the whole palm. The designers acknowledge some of these drawbacks, along with the shape size, the signal resolution, the tactile sensation and the users' hand gestures. They wish to address these issues in future studies. 

Discussion
I think this is a good course of research and that it may have some practical applications. With some improvements, I don't see why the Adaptive Mouse couldn't be useful to active PC gamers to casual or light computer users. Even to for those who would prefer to have a mouse designed to suit their grip style but don't quite know, the Adaptive Mouse could help them figure that out. I do still like the idea of a mouse that can be shaped to feel natural to all of most people, rather than be tailored for some. I was somewhat concerned when I read that the mouse did not operate properly when held with only the thumb and pinky and not the whole palm because I typically use a "claw-style" grip, with less contact from my palm and more from the tips of the other fingers. Of course, I would expect this is something the designers will consider in their future studies.

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of having an adaptive mouse. It takes away the annoying feeling of a mouse to touch. Since I use the keyboard more than the mouse, I feel that an adaptive keyboard may be a more useful tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the you where after some improvements, this device could extremely useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem is not everyone wants these types of things. It's easy to make a better mouse trap, but that doesn't mean people will use it. We tech guys love the sound of it, but we'll see if it catches on with everyone else.

    ReplyDelete