This next week, I will spend a few hours riding up and down elevators taking notes on how people behave in elevators. At the end of the week, I will try to note some common behaviors and possibly find some relationships in age, gender and race. In addition, I would like to try to determine whether the number of people in an elevator affects individual behavior. I anticipate that there may be an abundant number of different behaviors, but I'm hoping there will be a smaller number of common behaviors that stand out.
I will most likely choose the Richardson elevators since it has nine floors for plenty of traffic.
1) What type or group of people are you planning to study?
People riding in a building elevator.
2) What do you want to or expect to learn from these people?
I want to see whether there are any connections or patterns between age, gender, race, or the number of elevator occupants to a person's typical behavior in an elevator.
3) How you are going to study them two hours per week?
Ride from the ground floor to the top floor in various elevators and take notes on current occupants' behavior.
4) What quantitative data would you record?
Record how any occupants are in the elevator at any given time, along with how far each person travels.
5) What qualitative data would you record?
Record the age, race and gender of each person along with their behavior throughout the elevator trip.
6) How are you planning to interact with the people you are observing?
There will be little interaction, but if people attempt conversation (a potential behavior), I will converse with them as usual.
So far, Jacob Lillard and I have agreed to start a group, though we have not yet discussed our own ethnography ideas nor settled on a topic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment