Tuesday, February 15, 2011

(Informal) Ethnography Results - Week 1

Jacob Lillard and I have not yet formally worked on our ethnography "Elevator Behavior" nor have we qualified any data yet. So far, I have ridden in elevators in Rudder tower and Richardson several times since last Thursday, Feb. 10. I have mentally noted that everyone or most I have ridden with avoid eye contact by looking at the floor, the elevator's instrument panel, or the floor indicator. So far I have seen no one take out their cell phones, apart from myself.

In addition, sometimes groups have entered elevators together, and individuals within these groups seamlessly continue their conversations, usually looking at one another or sometimes facing the front of the elevator. Once or twice, I have seen people by themselves chime into a group's conversation. Others have spotted a friend enter on the other side of the elevator and start a conversation. I think this made it slightly uncomfortable for people standing in the middle between them, as they make more head movements and shuffle their feet more.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment