Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Blog Entry #0: Introduction Blog

This was taken at White Sands National Monument in July 2010.

E-mail address
jimmyho25 [at] gmail [dot] com

Class standing
1st-year graduate student

Why are you taking this class?
I am interested in computer science and psychology, which naturally intersects with human-computer interation. I also believe this will continue to have very important applications in the future as computing and electronic devices become more and more entrenched in human lifestyles.

What experience do you bring to this class?
I have worked on research projects with the Sketch Recognition Lab (SRL) aimed at providing certain functionality as well as improving the user interaction and interface such that the user can perform the necessary tasks seamlessly. In addition, I have past internships in automation with similar goals--to create reliable and intuitive interfaces.

I have experience with Unix systems, bash scripting, Python, C/C++, Java, VB6, VB.NET, some Prolog, Answer Set Programming (ASP), and limited PHP and SQL. I have also worked on microcontrollers such as PSoC, SPARTAN-3 FPGAs, and MSP430 wireless transceivers.

What do you expect to be doing in 10 years?
I hope to be working for a major software development company, such as Google or Microsoft, but I will be focused on raising a loving family.

What do you think will be the next biggest technological advancement in computer science?
The next advancement in computer science will probably take place in the automotive industry, making automobiles fully autonomous, increasing efficient road traffic, saving time and reducing overall emissions, as well as allowing people to work or play during their commute.

If you could travel back in time, whom would you like to meet and why?
I would meet my baby or toddler self so I can warn myself about life.

What is your favorite style of mustache and why?
Motörhead frontman, Lemmy, sports my favorite mustache style. In fact, it is a sideburn-mustache combination.

If you could be fluent in any foreign language that you're not already fluent in, which one would it be and why?
I am currently learning Korean because I find the construction of the letters (consonants and vowels) themselves to be intuitive. In addition, I have enjoyed Korean pop music since middle school and finally got tired of not understanding the lyrics.

Give some interesting fact about yourself.
In addition to Korean, I am currently learning Norwegian and will eventually learn the other Scandinavian languages, Swedish and Danish, as I also enjoy black metal and folk metal, which largely comes from Norway and Sweden, as well as Finland, which has a language fairly different from the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment