I haven't kept up with a blog since sophomore year of high school, and back then I used Xanga and LiveJournal. I really wouldn't be doing this again if I weren't taking ENDS 101, or my "Design Process" course, so I doubt I'll be back here once this semester is over. Anyway, one of our assignments is called a Creativity Journal/Portfolio (CJP), where we record our weekly/daily thoughts for the whole semester. I had planned to make weekly audio logs, either on my myTouch (some Google love there) or on my computer, but I figure it won't hurt to make a few posts here to supplement.
INTERVIEWS
It's been a mostly relaxing spring break so far. I say "mostly" because yesterday one of the companies I submitted my resume to, Energy Future Holdings, told me they have an unexpected job opening, so they would be having some phone interviews to fill that opening. Of course, that implies that I and several others weren't selected for interviews that they probably held in the last few months. Anyway, my phone interview was this morning, and it could've been better, but it definitely wasn't a disaster. In fact, I might've done above average. I'm still waiting to hear back from two other companies that have interviewed me, PowerDB Inc., and L-3 Communications.
MOBLIN
Aside from that, I spent Monday and most of yesterday trying to configure Moblin 2.1, which I've had dual-booted on my EeePC. Specifically, I was trying to install gstreamer codecs so it could play my music and video files. I'm not completely foreign to RPM-based or Red Hat-based Linux distros, yet it's been too difficult to install the necessary codecs. The best I could do was install VLC, but audio would be unpredictable; it might be choppy one time I play any movie or song, but might run smoothly if I close and reopen it. Besides, I've never liked VLC compared to Totem, Mplayer, or even Windows Media Player 11 or Windows Media Player Classic. I'll miss Moblin's amazing UI, but for now, I'll be sticking with #! CrunchBang Linux, which I've been using since I bought the EeePC over the summer.
Check out some Moblin screenshots here. I'd post at least one of pics myself, but the source image was too big and I didn't feel like shrinking it myself.
ABSU, eBay
Yesterday, I bought a shirt with the logo for black metal band ABSU on eBay. I recently got into this band, so I probably wouldn't have bought the shirt, but what I heard really hooked me in, so I got it anyway. It was $15 incl. S/H, so I figure it's not a waste, and I imagine I'll be loving these guys for awhile. I've actually been preferring symphonic black metal (Limbonic Art, Moonsorrow, Apotheosis, Bal-Sagoth) over black metal lately, but these guys are changing that. So I might try out other black metal bands I haven't thought about, like Darkthrone. The best part is ABSU is from Plano, TX, which is just a 15 minute drive from my hometown, Rowlett, TX. How great is that?!

ABSU - (1995) The Sun of Tiphareth. The album artwork is pretty awesome to boot.
Speaking of eBay, if you're reading this and you're one of those people who bids on an item when there're still 12+ hrs until the auction ends, I hope you choke and drive off a bridge. Seriously, you're only jacking up the price for everyone, including yourself, so cut it out.
ALCEST
Another band I've recently checked out is called ALCEST, which looks and sounds dangerously like "incest". Anyway, their early work was black metal, but what I've heard so far is their later stuff, which is "shoegaze". Apparently it's kinda like alternative rock, but ALCEST hardly sounds like that, so I wouldn't call it alternative. I'm awful at describing music, so search for them (and ABSU) on YouTube to see what they sound like if you're interested; you won't be disappointed.

ALCEST - (2007) Souvenirs d'un autre monde
Anyway, that's it for this post, I'll make another when I feel like it. If you read this ridiculously long post, thank you. Feel free to let me know what you think. I'm off to workout.

No comments:
Post a Comment